Become a Member
Our motto at Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union is "once a member, always a member". There is no need to close your membership with us if you retire or move away, you can still keep your membership open. Activity is needed once every 12 months to avoid dormant fees. Effective 2018, activity is needed once every three years to avoid funds being surrendered to the Illinois State Treasurer Office.
Who Can Join?
- DeKalb Public Library Employees
- Illinois Association of School Business Officials Employees
- Northern Illinois University Employees and Retirees
- NIU Employees– Employment is verified via NIU's records, employment contract or your most recent pay-stub.
- NIU Retirees– Proof that you are receiving SURS is accepted via a recent stub or account statement showing the direct deposit.
- Immediate family of current members and members of the same household
- Immediate family is defined as spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step and adoptive relations.
- Household is defined as persons living in the same residence forming a single economic unit of a current Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union member.
Benefits & Services
- Free Online Banking (app available)
- Bill Pay (new)
- Mobile Deposit
- Free E-statements
- Direct Deposit
- Payroll Deductions
- Automatic Loan Payments
- Card Payments (over the phone or in person)
- Cash Advances
- Surcharge-free ATMs (Allpoint / Co-Op)
- Gift Cards
- Credit Cards
- Reloadable Debit Cards
- Wire Transfers
- Domestic (incoming and outgoing)
- International (outgoing only)
- Financial Counseling
- Notary Public Service
- GAP/Depreciation Protection/Mechanical Breakdown Protection
- Insurance Services (discounts with Liberty Mutual)
- Student Loans (through a partnership)
- First Mortgages (through a partnership)
- Complete our Membership Application
- Bring a deposit of $25 by cash or check
- Valid driver's license, state ID or passport
- Proof of current address - if different from your ID (i.e. pay stub, account statement, utility bill)
To comply with the U.S. Patriot Act, we must verify your identity before we can add you into our computer system as a member. All potential members and joint owners must be verified by a Northern Illinois Federal Credit Union staff member before joining.